Education Packages: EastandWestEdGuide.pdf
Borders can be physical, emotional, perceived and real. Borders define but a bridge provides a means to move from one place to another - whether physical or emotional - connecting to where you are.
As an emerging newcomer artist to Canada experiencing the impact of borders of all types - connected to my past with a desire to reach out to my new surroundings – I sought to share a path forward for others experiencing this for the first time. Each has a story to tell, starting when we embark in life and shaped by everything we see and everyone we meet. We live in a changing world, exposed to new cultures and people - emotional bridging between continents and lands with many different cultures within them. With a cultures’ overlapping and building upon one another, mixing traditions and symbols, the goal of art has been to bring cultures together into one; one people, living and learning together, in one place, sharing stories and understanding each other along the way.
'Creating Bridges: East and West' emerged as a series of paintings in 2014 through 2018 and features ten to fifteen pieces that reflect the bridging of cultures, done in mixed media on canvas with coins, metallic leaf and rich textural additions. The theme of the show was a way of sharing the story of diversity of peoples and cultures in our community as a result of immigration - crossing borders to a new place, a new community and new way of life.
- Mon, Jan 1, 2024 to Fri, Feb 23, 2024 at the Last Mountain Lake Cultural Centre
- Wed, May 1, 2024 to Thu, May 23, 2024 at the Central Park Library/Arts Centre
- Sun, Sep 1, 2024 to Wed, Oct 23, 2024 at the Grand Coteau Heritage and Cultural Centre
- Tue, Mar 1, 2022 to Sat, Apr 23, 2022 at the Jasper Cultural and Historical Centre
- Wed, Jun 1, 2022 to Thu, Jun 23, 2022 at the Indian Head Theatre and Community Arts Inc.
- Tue, Nov 1, 2022 to Wed, Nov 23, 2022 at the Sherven-Smith Art Gallery
- Sun, Jan 1, 2023 to Thu, Feb 23, 2023 at the Community pARTners Gallery
- Wed, Mar 1, 2023 to Thu, Mar 23, 2023 at the Mistasinihk Place
- Sat, Apr 1, 2023 to Sun, Apr 23, 2023 at the Biggar Museum and Gallery
- Mon, May 1, 2023 to Fri, Jun 23, 2023 at the Station Arts Centre Cooperative
- Fri, Sep 1, 2023 to Sat, Sep 23, 2023 at the Melville Community Works
- Wed, Nov 1, 2023 to Thu, Nov 23, 2023 at the John V. Hicks Gallery at the Prince Albert Arts Centre